Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Promises suite...

Allready it is a couple of mornings that I am waking up in our new bedroom! YES!! After 7 and a half years of tinkering away, making nice rooms for the guest, we at long last have moved into our bedroom! There's pics to show - but that will be another chapter! Just had to share this with you quick! And what is more, I can sit in bed and work on my computer!!!! So you might get posts a bit more often! But then around 16 posts in just over a month is not too bad a start n'est pas?


So I thought that I shall give you my favourite bobotie recipe base - step by step today! 

INGREDIENTS:

2 Onions
Oil or butter (I use a mixture of the 2)

1kg minced meat (mutton, beef or leftovers of your sunday roast)
(I replace the meat with white fish eg hake as we eat very little meat!)
Couple of slices of old bread
250 ml milk

2 eggs
15 ml curry powder
22,5 ml sugar
10 ml salt
2,5 ml pepper
7'5 ml tumeric
30 ml vinegar or juice of one lemon
Almond slivers
125ml dried raisins
Lemon or Bay leaves to decorate

45 ml Chutney

METHOD:


Preheat your oven to 180°C (350°F)


Peal onions, chop small and fry in hot oil till a little brown, add curry and meat (or fish) and continue until everything is almost cooked.


In a seperate dish, mix the bread in 125ml of milk and when thoroughly soaked, add the rest of the ingredients except 1 egg, and the leaves.



Place in an ovendish and bake for about 40 to 45 minutes.


About 20 minutes before the end, mix the rest of the milk with egg and pour over the mixture.


Serve with rice and chutney.



This is the very traditional way of doing Bobotie. (As can be found in the 'Bible' of South African Cook books, Cook and Enjoy by S.J.A. de Villiers - Cook and Enjoy celebrated it's 50th Bday in 2001 - since 1951, more than half a million copies was sold)


You can imagine that it is rather difficult for me to stick to recipes, so I normally do my Bobotie portion size in silicone molds. With the leftover mixture, I do little bite size boboties for our 'apéritif'.
And when I am left with still more, I roll the mixture in Philo sheets (almost like thick cigares) and then make Bobotie springrolls!


Once again let that imagination flow-who need to stay on the highway? Go off that beaten track to discover life's surprises!! Go for it!



Life is about sharing
Bisous
Lynn







4 comments:

Pam said...

Lynn, this looks delicious! I will try it.
I am so happy your bedroom is finished! Can't wait for pics. Congratulations to Olivier! Well done!
Pam

Anonymous said...

Lynnnnn takes me back to Paris. And how about your boorevos (sp?) that lived in everyone's freezer?
xoxoxo

Ilse said...

Ag dankie mevrou vir die lekker Bobotie recipe - must try it tonight! What a pleasure for you to be ale to sit on your BED! No more cold room behind the curtain for you......pics please (the 'Wilson' party included!)

LPP said...

hi lynn, nice blog I'd love to see the pics of your bedroom, happy for you it is ready now!'I will sent your pic of the cheece :-)
by email (I don't know how via blog)
bisous Annette