Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Shandor and the art of Sharing!


I am so privileged! 
Just back from 3 days in Paris where we celebrated the baptism of my latest godchild, Shandor! 
Now, this is the first time I have ever been godmother to a boy who has one godmother and 2 godfathers and who had a republican and church baptism!

What a lucky boy he is! 


A lovely Mama and Papa that love him to bits, grandfather on mama's side, grandmother on Papa's side - even a great grandmother of almost a 102 that shared this very special occassion with him - as well as a mixture of divine French people from all different walks of life and origins!
And a lucky boy he is especially to have his 2 godfathers living 3 floors below him in the same building!
And who were there for him, sharing their appartment with all the guests Saturday AND Sunday!
And not only that, Noel, who signed with me at the townhall on Saturday, made the most divine Pear and Chocolate Cake for the more formal lunch on Sunday. And dressed the tables and did shopping and and and......
I have asked him for his divine recipe and as soon as I have it, will post it! Promise!

Samuel, his partner who signed with me at the Protestant Temple on Sunday, organised, and cleaned and entertained and and and....


Samuel, Eric with Shandor, myself, Noel and Violaine at the Mairie of the 11th arrondissement in Paris


It is not for nothing that Shandor has a South African godmother - I had to add the bit of South African flavour and did the Bobotie* for the lunch on Sunday with the most divine curry that my friend Vanessay Pillay from Durban posted to me in Cape Town on my recent quick sejour in South Africa. Eric, Shandor's father who has done his doctorate on the South African Muslim Community, and I have know each other since my first year in Paris and this is going back 19 years! We've walked a long way together and he and his lovely wife Violaine got married here in the Auvergne in the town of Ambert, where you can find the divine cheese 'Fourme d'Ambert'* and we had the wedding party here Aux Jardins des Thevenets! 


So basically this is just, as usual, about sharing. Sharing with those you love! Sharing in good times and also in bad times. Sharing with friends and family who might sometimes treat you badly because they hurt, and then the easiest is to hurt those close to you! Or they do not know different or do not realise that they hurt you! The lesson that I have learned again this weekend is that life is about sharing and what is really wonderful is that my beautiful godson, Shandor, will grow up with this notion of sharing as well as the influence of all the different people around him as his mother, Violaine, said in her beautiful text pronounced at the baptism!


*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobotie

*Bobotie is a South African dish consisting of spiced minced meat baked with an egg-based topping. The recipe probably originates from the Dutch East India Company colonies in Batavia, with the name derived from the Indonesian Bobotok. It is also made with curry powder leaving it with a slight "tang". It is often served with Sambal.


*http://www.cheese-france.com/cheese/fourme_ambert.htm

* Fourme d'Ambert - Legend says that Fourme d'Ambert was already made at the time of the Druids and the Gauls. It is certainly one of the oldest cheeses in France along with Roquefort

6 comments:

Pam said...

What a wonderful weekend! Shandor is indeed a lucky child!
The Bobotie sounds delicious. I want some now!
And that cheese. Can't find that in new York......will have to try it on my next trip!

baukje said...

What a 'warm' and lovely history you told us.......

Anonymous said...

Lynn, lovely lovely lovely!
I was a bit surprised that you made bobotie and not your specialty Boorevos (spelling?) I remember having to store some in my congelo.. ;-)
So will you let us have the recette for bobotie? xoxo Uj

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Sam said...

Thanks to the godmother and the republicanmother, to be herself, for her kindness, and to mixt both spiritual and citizen values
The "just" godfather !

Kate at Serendipity said...

What a gorgeous child! And the food (as always) sounds perfect for the occasion. We get fourme d'Ambert here in Belgium, and it's one of my favorites.